I love pesto. And the best thing about pesto is that even though traditional pesto is chock-full of Parmesan cheese, you can make it without and it is just as delicious and much less allergic reaction-inducing. I think I love pesto even more with when it’s made with walnuts instead of pine nuts.
With a big container of basil in the fridge and a whole bunch of super-healthy raw/soaked/dehydrated walnuts ready to go, it was finally time to make my pesto. My friend asked me why–on this diet, what could I possibly put it on? My answer–everything! I’ve already put it on brown-rice pasta, scrambled eggs, diluted it for salad dressing, dipped in raw broccoli, made chickpea-pesto salad, and I still have lots more! The sky’s the limit with something this delicious!
Here’s what I did:
– Throw in equal amounts of walnuts and basil leaves into a food processor
– Add three cloves chopped garlic and a generous portion of salt
– Drizzle olive oil in until you feel like stopping
– Process everything together
– Scrape the sides and keep adding olive oil until you reach the pesto-ey consistency that you want.
Eat. Yum! A high 5/5 happy monkeys for this one!
Next time I think I would add more olive oil… I was trying to keep it healthy but now I find myself adding lots of olive oil whenever I put it in a dish. Probably easier just to do up front. 🙂